background

Saturday, June 30, 2012

There's no place like home

And I don't have magic ruby slippers to take me there right now. Long story short...we are stuck in Rome. Basically the airline only had 2 flights to the USA today, both were full and 30 people ahead of us flying standby. The Rome airport is crazy!!! We had to go in several vehicles, three different buildings and a train just there today! I will say there that their services for individuals with disabilities are top notch! I don't think we would have survived today without them. The day started out early...4:40 am to be exact. Got Maria ready, when she would rather not have. Got to the airport in Sofia with no issues other than the airline didn't know about her disability and they weren't happy. I had written it in the information when we book...guess next time call instead. Short easy flight. She did great on here first airplane ride ever. The flight attendants were very interested in her and that she was Bulgarian and going to the USA. I explained that I adopted her and everything. I was told to take very good care of her and that it is wonderful that I wanted her. They were very nice. Then the Rome airplane fiasco occurred. She was a total trooper during it all. I did let her stay in her chair today with the exception of going to the bathroom to change her. We ended up finding a hotel near the airport and had to walk about 10 minutes to get to the shuttle and the wait about 40 minutes for the shuttle in 90+ degree weather. At this point it hit Maria....we weren't going to USA today. She started crying...I'm sure it was also due to being hungry and tired. We got her on the shuttle and I pulled out the iPad and brought up my puzzle app and made a puzzle out of a picture of her friend Alexis....this helped stop the tears. Now settled in the hotel....hoping and praying we get out on the flight tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I just read through all your posts for the week. I want to say congratulations on your new daughter, Maria! What a blessing you will be to each other!

    Praying for the rest of your trip home.

    ReplyDelete