background

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Stuck in Rome day two....

Yup, we are still here in Rome. I feel like this is the never end trip right now. We did try again today and were told that 2 flights the day before we're cancelled and that those passengers were getting shuffled to any open seats. While we were waiting around Maria and I met a very nice service man who had been stationed in Sicily for the past 3 years. He was done with his service and heading home to DeKalb, IL with his two dogs. Found out that Maria is not afraid of dogs. She even scratched one of the dogs in the carrier today once she was told it was ok...would let it lick her though. So, we ended up going back to the hotel...thank goodness I bought the iPad. I plan to show everyone some of the apps that Maria has really enjoyed and that have helped her out...in case anyone wants to know for their own pick up trip. Anyway, once the waiting really started I just handed her the iPad so she wouldn't really notice what was going on and wouldn't get upset. It really did work. She is now asking for the iPad in English! Woo Hoo! Except I don't think I'm ever going to get the iPad back! We also went for a short walk outside once things cooled down a little....while on the walk Maria started her favorite game of saying words or names and having me repeat them. Out of nowhere she said "Viviane". I was shocked, but then remembered I had told her that Viviane was my friend and that she will try to help Z find a family and I had read my mom a post from Viviane earlier today. Maria then started saying the names of some of my honorary nieces and nephews....Ethan, Scarlett, Koa, she couldn't get Clark out....then we moved on to Andrea and Toby. When we went back to the hotel room she even surprised me by writing out "Merry (Mary), Anna, Rebeka" my friend Dora Beth's girls....I was shocked. This girl is one smart little cookie! Also met a nice couple from Indiana in the hotel. My mom started talking to the wife because she reminded her of my great aunt Evelyn. They were every nice couple...he was a retired doctor who delivered over 3000 babies. They asked about Maria and tried so hard to talk to her...staff at the hotel did too...everyone is so interested in this little fighter! Well, we will try again to get out of Rome tomorrow...we are so ready to be home!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you all are doing well despite the unexpected layover. I'm sure you'll be HAPPY to celebrate the 4th of July w' your new American Citizen :) ~ Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete