background

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday

Well, Maria woke up a few times over the night and seemed a little weepy, which woke me. However, she went back to sleep very quickly. We had a fairly relaxing down day. Spent most of the time at the hotel. Unfortunately there is all this road construction going on all around the hotel. Was told today that they are putting in a subway, which is why it seems they are tearing more up than fixing. So, due to this it is not easy for us to go for walks in the area with Maria. My mom decided to walk down to the KFC and get us some food for lunch. She also located an ice cream store and brought Maria back some ice cream. My mom said that the lady questioned her about the ice cream and ended up explaining that I had adopted Maria. Mom said she kept saying how lucky Maria is that she is going to the USA. Maria and I did go to the embassy today. We went through the security...no cameras or electronics allowed. I forgot I had put my cell phone back in my purse this morning...so I had to turn it over while we were there. We walked to the building to get her visa paperwork and interview done. Lots of sitting and waiting. The under consulate we talked to was excellent and very interested in our experience. I did learn that she will keep her Bulgarian citizenship (be a duel citizen). Which ends up having some cool and silly benefits....cool, she can go to college or university in Europe for the "home" rate....silly (at least to me) she has to enter Europe on her Bulgarian passport and the turn around and enter the USA on her US passport. Yup have to keep both passports up to date. After we got done there we went to the front and waited for our driver to finish up with some other things he had to do there. Then back to the hotel. Maria's favorite waitress was off tonight. I made sure to let her manager know what a great job she has done and how she has been a big help and hit with Maria. So, the hotel restaurant has been very accommodating to Maria. Tonight she told the waitress that she wanted spaghetti with Bulgarian cheese...yup a bunch of noodles with nothing but cheese in them....she was in kid heaven. Went upstairs and watched some tv and got ready for bed. She has also been talking a lot about her friend Alexis who was adopted about a year and a half ago. She knows she will get to see Alexis again and is very excited....she keeps referring to her as her Bulgarian name "Raina". I did use google translate to explain to her that Alexis no longer speaks Bulgarian, only English. When we were at the embassy waiting she said "Alexis speaks English.". She is a smart girl....I have a feeling she is going to do just fine in school! I also finally told my mom the details of gotcha day....she knew it was bad and I was very hesitant to talk about it in front of Maria. I was able to do so tonight and help her understand how traumatic it was for these kids. Getting to see more and more of Maria's personality and silliness I'm sure that the staff at the orphanage has got to be missing these two kids. She is so full of life. Teasing me all the time. She actually tries to block you in when standing near her....it like she knows you have to be careful around her and she can get away within and she is smiling and laughing the whole time. She also will be walking in front of you and just stop for no reason then turn around and laugh at you...so, we either tickle her sides or walk around her and make her follow us. She loves watching video of herself and looking at pictures of herself. She is such a silly girl!

1 comment:

  1. She's a silly girl and you are a Mom in heaven :) (at least as close to it as we get here on this earth) - I love being silly w' my girls too :) :) :) It's great to see them laugh! (Sorry you've also had to see her cry :( ) ~ Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete