background

Monday, September 3, 2012

Adoption Party

We had the 2nd adoption celebration party for Maria this weekend.  The first party was at the beginning of August in the Chicago area.  This party was at my parents' home.  It was a beautiful day and many people were able to come and meet Maria.  Maria was a little overwhelmed with all the attention, but she did enjoy all the gifts...people were extremely generous.  My aunt and uncle from St. Louis came up for the party, which was wonderful to see them.  My mom's cousin (Jim) and his wife from northern Iowa also came down....they hadn't been down for several years so it was great to see them.   Jim is such an amazing guy....who understands adoption, because he is adopted.  Jim's mom couldn't have children because of a genetic disorder than she had....she loved Jim completely and never saw him as anything but her son.  Jim and I talked quite a bit at the party.  I was telling him about Maria and the orphanage.  I looked over at him and had to tell him how much I wish his mom could have been there with us to meet Maria.  He nodded and we both teared up.  Aunt Evelyn was such an amazing woman.  She passed away just over 6 years ago.  I know she is looking down and smiling at us all. 

It was just wonderful to see everyone embrace Maria.  Friends and family who have waited so long to meet this girl and see the spark in her eyes and joy in her smile.
Getting ready for guests to arrive

A little Ipad time....my dad talking with our old neighbor and family friend

More people!  She wasn't quite sure what to think at times.

My co-worker (and fellow adoptive mom) Pat with Maria.  Pat has been one of my big cheerleaders over the process...she couldn't wait to meet Maria.

We ended up having a family dinner after everyone left.  My dad, cousin Gary and  Shilo (dog) after dinner....right after I shot this, Shilo thought she should get up on the table!

Maria with my grandmother....I have been so amazed at how much my grandparents have embraced Maria and have such love for her already.  She is one happy kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment