background

Thursday, August 23, 2012

School

Well this week was another first for Maria starting school!  She has never really gone to school before.  She had great tutors at the orphanage and sometimes would be included at the local school for special programs, but was never there for the day to day school experience.  I knew that Maria would have specific needs at school and some challenges.  Not only is she considered ELL (English Language Learner) she also has her mobility issues.  Working with schools I know they deal with surprises all the time, but would rather know about issues and have a plan in place ready to go.  When I decided last spring to open enroll Maria in the school district in the town I work in I quickly emailed the principal (who is amazing) to tell her a little about Maria.  So, the school and my co-workers knew that Maria would be coming.  When I took Maria to register for school at the beginning of the month I got to talk with the school guidance counselors (who are also amazing) about Maria and they got to meet her.  They quickly emailed the principals and others at the school who would need to meet with me to plan for Maria's school day.  I also got some of my co-workers to come to the meeting since there is a good chance Maria will need an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for her physical needs. 

We met last Friday....I have been at hundreds of IEP and similar meetings as a professional, it was different being on the other side of things this time.  I wasn't completely comfortable discussing all of Maria's medical conditions and needs with a group of people that I knew on different levels, even though I know and respect them.  The meet was great and here is what I asked for:  I knew with Maria's mobility that her carrying books in her backpack would not be possible so I requested and was given an extra set of books to have at home.  I also requested that she be allowed more time in passing between her classroom and other locations (even though she is in 5th grade she is at the Middle School, they do try to keep the changing classes to a minimum for 5th graders).  I also asked that she have an appropriate place to use the bathroom where she could change her pullup in privacy and have the supplies needed at hand.  I also requested that the adults in the building promote Maria's independence.  We also are going to have her ride the bus some to the babysitter's house.  Thus far everything has been done.  In fact they have gone above and beyond what I expected!  They have made sure someone is with her while navigating the school right now, the teacher had the extra books ready for me at the open house on Monday night and the special ed teacher who also co-teaches in the room has called me each day to let me know how things have gone!

So, I know you are excited to hear how Maria is doing....well Monday she was very excited to go to the open house.  She did ok with her locker combination, it will just take some work.  She got all her things put in her desk and even met one of the other girls who sits in her pod at school.  Tuesday she got to spend the day with my parents while I was at work....she did well while she was with them, but was rather tearful that night with me.  I could just tell she was anxious about the next day.  Wednesday was the BIG 1st day of school.  I took her to school and walked her up to her class.  I know not normal for her age, but her situation is unique.  I was told she did well at school and even had a few girls walk around with her at recess.  She seemed to be very happy about school, even though we had a 4 page interest inventory to do as homework...yeah, try doing that with a kiddo with limited English, but we did our best.  Today I only had walk Maria into the building.  We quickly saw the principal who came over and offered to walk Maria up to her class (she get to go up early since it takes her longer to go up and down stairs).  I got a call at the end of the school day saying that Maria had another good day, but that while they were doing the bus evacuation they discovered that she had worn out the tip of her crutch!  Can't say I'm too surprised.  It was a frustration for her, but the teachers got her to tell them crutch when she was having an issue with it, so they could try to fix it.  (yes, the first thing we did after I got done with work was go get new tips)  She also kicked a ball around with another girl at recess....so happy that she figured out that she can kick a ball and that she is making friends!  Well, there was some miscommunication about how she was leaving school today....I ended up having to run to the school to get her.  She did get frustrated with her crutch and just let go of all the tears.  Because of everything I did take her to my office while I finished up work....not something I would normally do, but I also realize that all these changes are really hard for her and she has done a great job of dealing with them.  She hung out at an extra desk while I finished up a few things and got to see some of my co-workers too (my co-workers just love her to pieces too).  After getting home she had a small cry over a little non-issue and then a big cry over her bedtime.  She goes upstairs at 8 to shower and get ready for bed and is in bed before 9.  She wanted to go up at 8:30...not an issue on weekends, but with her having to wake up so early to be ready on time and the fact that she doesn't want to get up...it wasn't going to happen.  Well, due to all the changes, all the stress, etc I made her get ready for bed right then and there....yup I'm a mean mom.  She cried the entire time she was going upstairs, the entire time she was preparing for her shower and all during her shower.  Yup, she was tired, frustrated and highly emotional. I didn't make her go right to bed.  I knew she needed to have some down time with me and no other distractions....we read part of a book and just had some cuddle time while listening to some soft music.  She went to bed in a happier mood and with little to no complaining.  I have a feeling we might need more of those nights in the future. 
As you can see Maria has a friend who wants to eat breakfast with her in the mornings.

At the 5th graders open house

Maria showing off her desk

My co-worker Ernie and his wife got Maria a U of I t-shirt...so funny b/c I am not into sports at all.

First day of school....ready to go into the building!

In her class, ready to learn and meet new friends!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Maria has had a fabulous week so far! The first few weeks are hard for ALL kids. Erikka, my 8 year old, has a hard time with the bedtime adjustment as in the summer she would stay up til 930 but now that school is back in session it's 8pm, no later than 830. Just hang in there and once Maria gets used to the routine, it will get a bit easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the school year will just keep getting better and better for the both of you :) ~ Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete