background

Friday, August 17, 2012

Back to work adjustment

I have survived my first week back to work and away from Maria.  I'll be honest, it was hard at times.  I worried about her adjusting to the new changes.  So, I know you are wondering how it went.....well there were tears on Monday and Tuesday....Wednesday there was much irritability and some attention seeking, but no tears.  Thursday started out rough...Maria thought it would be ok to take 45 minutes to just get dressed!!!  Yeah, that isn't going to work when school starts.  I let her know that she has two options to either be woken up earlier (which neither of us would enjoy) or get ready faster in the morning (with no little to no complaining).  Maria said she would rather get ready faster (big surprise).  Today she was able to get dressed (braces, shoes and hair done) in 15-20 minutes.  In fact we had about 15 minutes to spare before my dad came to stay with Maria for part of the day...he then brought her to the town I work in around lunch time.  All my co-workers have been very anxious to meet Maria.  She was given tons of attention and some treats.  Everyone continues to be so surprised how well Maria is doing.

Also had the amazing Occupational Therapist (OT) who works in my office do some screening on Maria.  At times some of her fine motor skills aren't quite where most 11 year olds are.  Examples...difficulty with tying her shoes at times, tightening her shoe laces, buttoning her jean shorts, cutting with a knife, etc.  The real question is how much is a lack of ability and how much is a lack of exposure to doing these things.  The OT right now really has no concerns at all with her fine motor skills, but she has said she will give suggestions as needed.  She is also going to work with me on using a brushing program with Maria to help with some of her over stimulation to touch (she is extremely ticklish).  We then headed over to Maria's school to meet with the staff and teachers to make them aware of her needs.  It was a little odd being on the other side of the table, but I had some of my amazing co-workers there backing me up and a group of amazing educators and administrators in this building who will do their best.  The school nurse asked great questions regarding Maria's medical condition and needs.  Everyone was open to doing what is best to ensure Maria's safety and inclusion with her peers.  Best part, they got to see what an amazing little girl I have and no one pushed for her to need an associate or para with her.  They are going to use peers to help at times when it is needed and even some older 8th graders (which I think is good for Maria and the older kids).  Next week we have the open house and Maria's school (where I have to get some pictures for everyone back at the orphanage to see) and then the first day of school is Wednesday. 

Many times people hear Maria has Spina Bifida and they think the worst case possible....once they meet her and see her determination and intelligence, they are just awestruck by my little fighter.  This wasn't the plan or way I saw my life when I started this journey....it is better than I could have ever imagined.  I still can't believe that she wasn't adopted long before I came along.  I realize that special needs adoptions are not for everyone, but I'm so very glad I listened to God and took the step to say yes to Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment