background

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Swimming

I knew after our weekend away in February Maria needed swimming lessons. Preferably from someone other than me....some things it is just easier for her to do with different people. So, I started looking for private swim instructors in our area who had experience with children who have physical disabilities....and I found Grandma Barb.

She is great! Spunky and not slowing down at 77. Coaxing and helping Maria get comfortable at her own pace and even seeking out additional advice from others on what is best for Maria. The first week Maria was very uncertain and said no the entire time, but did do some things for Barb.

Slow and steady has been the pace and Maria has done great.

Lesson 2 brought Maria's big challenge, putting her face in the water....something she did NOT want to do at all. With taking things slow, she did this....ok, I also bribed her with ice cream. She also felt comfortable with two noodles supporting her in the water. With the noodles there she has figured out the dog paddle. This is brought tears to my eyes. In the pool Maria can be like other kids....she doesn't need her braces, crutches or a wheelchair. She can move about and do things just like other kids! I was quick to send videos and pictures to Manuela who was at Maria's former doma. Everyone got to see her swimming and were amazed at what she was doing, especially her physical therapist there.

 

This week brought lesson 3...Maria did great...she even swam with only 1 noodle for a little while, although she isn't very comfortable with it yet. She did just great and we are all so pleased. Maria is loving swimming lessons right now. I have a feeling we are going to sign up for more lessons to help her get ready for summer. I also think that the swimming lessons might be helping her become stronger, which is great!

 

2nd lesson

This week's lesson

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big fan of being in the water (unless it's the ocean), but I know that swimming is so good for the whole body. Hopefully this will turn into a passion that can keep Maria fit and healthy for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete