background

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Giving back

A few months ago my friend Viviane talked about how her and her husband are going to donate money monthly to someone in the process of adopting.  I was inspired by the choice that they made and decided that I would donate a small amount ($35) monthly to different families adopting from Bulgaria.  So, to start this out I ended up asking the lady at the NGO that has helped with Zack, J and S if she knew of any families who needed a donation.  She sent me a link for one family that was attached to a give away.  I ended up donating my money and chuckled to myself that I would never win either prize.  I also gave to some fundraisers some other friends were having for their adoptions. 

So, last week at church our pastor did something a little nutty....he gave us all envelopes with money in them to go and bless others with....some people got $5, $10 others got more.  Maria and I each got $5....we talked on the way home from church that we would combine our money and I decided to add more to it and that we would give it to a family adopting from Bulgaria.  Later on Sunday I posted on 2 Facebook groups what had happened and asked if anyone would be interested in receiving the money.  The response was more than I expected.  Maria and I ended up dividing the money between 2 families after school on Monday.  It was great for Maria to get to help other kids come home and know that she is making a difference. 

The other exciting thing that happened on Monday was that I can no longer say I never win anything....yeah, won a week vacation in a condo in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.  At first I was planning to give it to my parents and stay at home, finishing up our school year and work....but then the office assistant told me I would be a bad mom not to take Maria.  So, we have pretty much figured out how to make it work.  We will drive out there so we can pick up my friend's daughter for the trip too....I'm going to learn first hand what it is like to parent 2 giggly girls and yes they will be giggling most of the time.  In fact my friend is waiting to tell her daughter so that she doesn't have to deal with an overly excited child for the next couple months.  Should be a great vacation.  June is going to be super busy between this and the Bulgarian Adoptee Reunion.

4 comments:

  1. Take lots of pictures!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia? I live there! If you need any info. on where to go, drop me a line. What area/town will you be near?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to be at Massanutten Resort. Do you know it?

      Delete
  3. I have friends that live in Harrisonburg and work at JMU, and have visited the area. It is beautiful! Stop in at Mr. J's bagels in Harrisonburg. They do fresh bagels daily and make their own cream cheese. There is also a large Mennonite community there so just driving in the country you get to see horse drawn buggies and they sell a lot of great mennonite food locally. There is a great childrens museum downtown that we visit. Lots of activities and cool things to see. My son loved the full kitchen that was scaled down for kids. There is also a lavender farm where you can buy locally grown lavender products.

    We actually live 3 hours south of Harrisonburg but are still in the mountains. We love visiting that area of the state and cant wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete