background

Monday, March 31, 2014

Surgery update 2

Ok....sorry it has been a long week. Wednesday Maria went back into surgery for her spinal fusion. She was taken in around 11am and didn't return to the room until around 12:30am Thursday morning. Everything went well with ortho surgery and plastics went in and finished up. By the way I love the plastic's surgeon! He is such a sweet grandfatherly type. He explained that it was harder to close because the spine in now longer. Once again when Maria was brought into the PICU room she was fighting sedation....her poor face was puffy from laying prone for so long. She wasn't in the room 30 minutes and she was wanting to write what she needed....and when I couldn't understand her writing I got hit with the pencil (it didn't hurt, more her showing her frustration). We finally got her taken care of and tried to get some sleep. Fairly certain she didn't sleep at all that night. Thursday all the tubes came out and I got see the before and after X-rays of her spine....wow is there a difference! We had a fairly quiet day with her resting....she did take a short nap in the afternoon....but in the evening she starting having some issues related to a combination of the pain killer, fever and not enough sleep. Her nerves in her good leg were also firing (which was great). I finally got her to sleep and relax. Thanks to my peppermint oil, her fever also went away.

 

Friday we moved out of PICU! We ended up on the second floor with probably one of the best nurses I have ever met. She requested us the next two days for continuity of care. Plus she fought with one of the PICU doctors about what was best for Maria...and won. Moving also meant not as frequent check ins, which gave Maria more down time. By this time Maria was frequently voicing her desire to get out of the hospital.

 

Saturday started off with our favorite nurse telling me that Maria's potassium was low and so was her hemoglobin level. So, we started off the day with her getting both of those. We had visitors....I met a mom of a darling little boy with SB who is up in the NICU. It was nice for her to have someone to talk to. Our homestudy social worker made a visit to complete the last of our post placement reports. And then good friends from Chicago came down to see us. Both of us were so tired we weren't the best company, but it was nice having friends around.

 

Sunday brought grandma, liquids and sitting up a little bit....my mom has been great giving me a little break from the hospital and allowing me some time at work. Truly this has been hard for me....I know Maria is in good hands and I want to be with her, but I also have to provide for her...which means I have to work. Hard balance and difficult at times like these. Right now Maria is in good hands and getting lots of grandma time. I do plan to spend at least Thursday with her at th hospital. From the several phone calls today I was told that Maria is eating solid foods again....I'm sure she is happy. She also got to sit up more today! PT came by and saw her. Everyone at the hospital is thrilled with ooh ow well she is doing. Seriously she bounces back quickly.

And Maria....well Maria is ready to get out of the hospital, be done with surgeries and she is excited that she is now 4 inches taller!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment