background

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

This and that

On Friday we had our first meeting with our homestudy social worker. It was at a library and we had a great time chatting. So, I didn't prepare the social worker by telling her that Maria has SB and is currently using her wheelchair. One part of our talk was discussing little sister's special needs (all kids adopted from orphanages have special needs of some kind, some are just more obvious than others). SW asked me about how I will manage little sister's SN. I simply looked at Maria and said, after this spring I can handle anything! Then I went on and explained what had happened with Maria. SW agreed, I have it under control. Overall the meeting went well, I have a list of things to gather and get done. Have fees that I need to fundraise for (different post on that).

As we left we saw a man walking with forearm crutches. Maria is very aware of other kids and adults who have physical disabilities. This man was with 2 younger elementary age girls. As I was wrangling Maria's wheelchair into the car, he and I made eye contact and smiled at each other. He said hello and asked how things were going. I told him good and asked how he was. He responded that he was doing the best he could. As I got into the car, Maria commented that she had seen him (which I knew she would). As we drove away I was thinking about him....he was independent, taking his kids to the library. Was life easy for him.....probably not, but he was living life. I'm not sure what he thought of me....I'm sure he understands the challenges Maria and I deal with....I wonder if it made him think of his mom. We don't know each other, but we share an understanding one that so many do not understand.

On Monday I started back to work......my summer break officially over. Maria still has 3 weeks of summer left. She is hanging out at Grandma and Grandpa's home having lots of fun with kittens. She is doing good and very happy that grandma made Moussaka for her. It is a blessing to have family nearby, who love Maria and want her with them when I have to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment