background

Friday, September 9, 2011

Remembering

I can hardly believe that it has been almost ten years since 9/11.  Like many people I can remember that day very clearly.  On 9/11/2001 I was in my second year of graduate school at St. Louis University.  That was a busy morning for me.  I needed to run out to Camp Wyman in Eureka MO to get some data for my practicum.  I woke early and rushed out the door without turning on a radio or tv.  I was on my way to the camp and switched on the radio.  That is when I heard about the first plane.  I can remember being confused and wondering if this was some sick joke.  Then the second plane hit.  I knew that the world I knew was changing.  Quickly I called my parents home and got my dad.  I let him know where I was going and that I was safe.  My dad was concerned because I was living in midtown St. Louis....heck I could see the arch every day I walked the block and half to class.  When I got to the camp I was able to watch the news footage on a small fuzzy black and white tv.  By that time the Pentagon had been hit and then soon after flight 93 had crashed.  Later I ended up at home, like many, engrossed by the horror that was happening to our country.

Later that night I talked with my aunt and discovered that my cousin Daniel who was in law school in NYC was safe.  We were also blessed that our family friends from Germany decided to start out their vacation at my parent's home in Iowa.  They had originally planned on starting out in New York, they would have been there on 9/11.  My mom still talks about the panicked phone calls from German relatives checking on our friends. 

Another thing that I remember from that time being in the city.  If you haven't been to St. Louis, it isn't a quiet city.  I remember this eerie quiet that seemed to engulf the city.  People seemed to be staying at home and remembering the simple things in life.  I remember the concern over an Iranian classmate in my program and ensuring that she was feeling safe.  I remember students the aviation school at SLU being interviewed by the FBI. 

Such an emotion filled time, so much loss, but at the same time it brought unity.  At times I wonder if it is similar to how people felt after Pearl Harbor was attacked.  December 7th is another important day to me....you see my grandfather and great uncle were serving on the USS Schley in dry dock number 2 on that morning.  Both were safe on that day and made it through WWII safely.  So many heroes on both days.....Thank you to all the service men and women who defend our country.  Thank you to all the first responders, fire fighters and police for putting your lives in the line of duty everyday.  I will always remember

1 comment: