background

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Weekend

I think it must get asked 50 questions a day by Maria. There are moments I manage the questions better than others. Today we had a fun outing with my mom....going to pick out a new kitten for my parents. While we were waiting on my mom, Maria asked me "Why do people only want babies and little kids and kittens?" I started with explaining to Maria how animals do better of adjusting to new environments when they are younger and can fit in better with the animals already there. I then explained to her in some ways it is the same with younger kids. I also told her that not all moms and dads who are adopting are ready for older kid problems. I explained that some kids who come home have problems like smoking, drinking and fighting....and not all parents know how to deal with those things. She seemed to understand and proceeded with the excitement of a new furry friend.....or as it ended up friends....2 kittens, a brother and sister are making their new home with my parents. Maria was thrilled to have one of the kittens sleeping on her lap on the way home. And she is asking every few hours to go and visit the kittens.

Also, this weekend was the Walk n Roll for Spina Bifida. The people with SB had blue star balloons on their chairs, bikes and other things to show who we were doing this for. Great time seeing so many friends. I think the best thing was seeing Maria come even more out of her shell! She was racing ahead of me to talk to people. I had to catch up with her on more than one occasion! I even had one of the older college age kiddos tell me that Maria had a whole conversation with her on her own....this is huge! Maria really looks up to this girl and would never talk to her unless I really prompted her and this weekend she had a conversation without prompts at all. The girl had to ask me what happened, she was so shocked too. Also making plans with our adaptive sports leader for the NJDC this coming summer....he thinks Maria can qualify for wheelchair racing if we start doing some training now and she would be his only althelete in this age group and classification for racing. We are excited and hoping the track clinic next month will teach us both a lot of what we need to know....now just to get that racing chair......anyone want to give me $3200 for a new racing chair? I didn't think so :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment