background

Monday, December 5, 2011

Over the weekend

The count down is on....actually I am refusing to count down (it makes all my nerves and anxiety increase right now).  But that hasn't stopped everyone else from counting down for me, even though I've asked them not to tell me the number of days left.  All I can say is it is coming quickly and everyday I am more and more grateful that Dora Beth is going to be there with me!
So, with limited time left I have had a lot to do.  On Saturday I went to the Iowa City area to do some final shopping.  I started at the outlet mall, finished up my Christmas shopping (usually this is done prior to Thanksgiving, b/c I hate shopping after Thanksgiving....all I can say is people are nuts this time of year).  Got some really good deals which made me happy.  I even got a couple more outfits for my girl.  Then I went to the mall....did I mention I hate shopping this time of year?  I finished up the gift for the orphanage director (I was told that the director is a man).  I got to meet up with a great special education teacher I have worked with the past few years, who is now working in a different district.  She is truly an amazing teacher who is extremely accepting of all her students and never complains.....I never heard her complain once in two years even when kids were being naughty.  After lunch we went our separate ways.  I went and had a Build A Bear made for my girl with a voice recording of me saying "Mommy loves you".  Then off to Target to get a few things for the trip and donations for the orphanage.  Dora Beth has already bought 100 pairs of socks and between the two of us we probably have 100 pairs of gloves/mittens and hats too.  I think one of the best parts of shopping was in the check out line.  There was a little girl of 4 or 5 being held by her mom....she looked at all my mittens and told her mom "she has a lot of mittens"....perfect teaching opportunity!  I told the child that I was going to an orphanage in Europe and that the children in the orphanage didn't have hats and mittens and couldn't play outside with them.  So I thought it would be nice for them to have what they needed so they could play in the snow.  She agreed and as she and her mom moved up in their line I heard her ask her mom what an orphanage was. 
After all the shopping was done, I went to meet the Bulgarian couple I met a while ago.  It was great to see them and talk with them again.  They gave me so much helpful information about the country and even gave me a family member's phone number in case I needed anything while in Sofia.  They are quickly becoming such a blessing!  The sad part of the night was learning that Annie's mother had unexpectedly passed away and she had made a very quick trip back to Bulgaria to attend her mother's funeral.  I hope that she is able to get through next week and all her final papers and projects....and then to get some well earned relaxation!
Yesterday after church, I spent the day finishing up my girl's photo album.  I also cut out a few things on my Cricut for present tags and to put on the gifts for the orphanage caretakers and director.  I was then surprised in the evening with a call from a young woman I met this summer at the Bulgarian Adoptee's reunion.  She was adopted at an older age and has so much wisdom and a strong desire to give this wisdom to adoptive parents to help the new adoptees.  We must have talked for almost 2 hours and she confirmed many things that I have been told and have planned on doing with my girl when she comes home.
As for the done list:
gifts for caretakers
Christmas present wrapped
clothes for M washed
donations bought
photo album done
tickets bought

To do:
Finish arranging for pet care while I'm gone
clean the house
pack!!!!
work on my limited Bulgarian
get the quilt my mom is making for M
finish up things at work before leaving
get my oil changed
I'm sure there is more and I'm just forgetting it right now.....I know the time is going to go by very quickly and before I know it I will be on a plane about to change my life and M's life forever.   

1 comment:

  1. I'll add three more to your "to do" list:
    relax
    pray
    and realize that God made an even bigger trip (from heaven to earth) to show His love for us (what we are celebrating this season), and He'll be w' us on this trip to show our love for M

    NOT counting down infront of you :) - but praying w' you!!!
    Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete