background

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Reality

My friend is dying....she is 35 years old and has a 6 yr old son and a wonderful husband. She has fought cancer for the past 2 1/2 years. She has tried many treatments, fought as hard as she could.....and now she is dying. This morning I woke to my phone ringing....her husband calling to explain things had taken a turn for the worse, that they thought she would die on Saturday, but didn't....that she is in hospice and could die at any time. That the cancer has moved from her bones to her lungs, liver and most likely her brain. That he is doing ok, has cried many times and will cry again....that their little boy is dealing with it in his own way. I cried.....I still cry......it seems so unfair that this should be happening to them.

My friend...a sweet woman, quiet to most unless you really knew her. Willing to let others take the lead, but also willing to ensure her voice was heard. A gentle soul and kind hearted person. A mom who loves her little boy with her whole heart. A woman who met her husband in the beginning days of college and fell in love. Someone who's beauty shines from within. Who has handled this illness with more grace and determination than I ever could. My friend.....

Slowly this morning I called a few close friends to let them know....not wanting my friedn's husband to bear all the burden of letting people know. Messages among our small college group were shared by texts, phone calls, and messages today. All of us hurting for what we know will come. Praying that she is free from pain.

Part of the day was also spent talking to Maria about the situation. Maria is very good at listening to adult conversations. She asked questions throughout the day and seemed to understand I will be sad. She hugged me closer and gave me lots of kisses. Please hold your loved ones close....

No comments:

Post a Comment