background

Friday, February 21, 2014

Waiting...

Thursday

On and off since December I have noticed some moisture/wetness on the back of Maria's shirts near her Spina Bifida scar. In the beginning I put topical ointment on it, figuring that she had some how rubbed against something and irritated it. The center of the scar would be pinker and then it would stop. Last month when it happened I attributed it to something she was doing in PE and even had the school nurse check it out. She agreed it looked like it had been irritated. We made sure she didn't do the specific stretch in PE against the wall as she had been doing. Then last night I noticed the wetness again. It didn't make sense and I knew I needed to get her doctor's opinion. We went to see her pediatrician today after school and work. I explained my concern...that it wasn't just irritated that it might be a spinal leak. He agreed we needed to figure out what was going on. As he quickly called ultrasound and radiology, I called the university and left a message for Maria's Spina Bifida doctor. Meanwhile Dr. Jay (we get to call him that since he went through grade school with my mom), decided to test the fluid using a glucos paper to see if there was sugar in the fluid. It took just a minute and the results were 100% clear....the fluid had sugar in it....it was spinal fluid. I'm not sure I can describe the fear I felt in that moment over the potential seriousness of this. We quickly talked and decided that it would be best for Neurosurgery at the university to do the MRI since we would be referred there once the results were in. Maria was upset that she wouldn't get a day off to just be with her grandparents and cousins, which had been the plan for tomorrow since she has no school. She is also concerned about possibly having to have a surgery....which I completely understand. Right now Dr. Jay thinks it is a small leak and she has no other symptoms. We won't know anything until tomorrow. I expect a phone call fairly early tomorrow to tell me what time they expect us at the specialty clinic.

Friday

We went up to neurosurgery today. Not a lot to tell other than Maria has a MRI scheduled for next week...we thought it would be today. So we wait. Thankfully Maria continues to have no other symptoms.

1 comment:

  1. May God be with you, M, the doctors... I'm sorry she doesn't have a day to hang w' her grandparents and cousins also! ~ Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete