background

Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Ok, I know it is actually Friday and I'm a day late.  I was spending yesterday with my family, just enjoying time together and talking about what next year will be like when my girl is finally home and able to have her first Thanksgiving.  I hope that all of you in the US had a wonderful day with your families and that those who don't celebrate Thanksgiving had wonderful days too.

Well, I know I have been pretty quiet lately.  I must say that the last few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster.  On 10/31 I got my biometrics done early (this was fantastic since I wasn't suppose to get them done till 11/21).  On 11/7 my USCIS approval came in the mail and the next day I took my documents up to the State building and got everything notarized and apostilized.  Then off to FedEx to send things on their way.  So, all last week I was waiting to get the news that everything was a go.....it didn't happen.  Instead on Thursday I got an email titled "URGENT".  Now, this is NEVER a good sign.  Well, I found out that the agency in Bulgaria needed another document, notarized and apostilized.  How did I miss this document, you ask...well, my coordinator had actually asked the agency in country if they needed this document notarized and apositlized over the summer and was told no.  So, I figured that since they didn't need it then, I didn't need to do it now.  BIG mistake!  Last Friday after what seemed like the longest staff meeting at work, I took off for the State building again (this is about 2 hours away one way).  I got everything done and FedEx off to Bulgaria.  As soon as I got into my car, I hit an emotional wall, all the frustration that I had been feeling over the last few months just came out.  Thankfully no one was there to witness this.  I took the rest of the day and weekend to de-stress and rest.  All the stress made my head cold come back in full force so, I was very grateful that this was a short week at work and most likely nothing big would happen.  Tuesday night, as I was getting dinner ready, I got a call from my coordinator.  I wasn't sure what to think at this point....well, at long last I have travel dates.  It took a while for it to finally sink in, but it looks like I will get to go and meet my girl before Christmas.  I'm very excited about finally getting to meet my girl!  I have been looking at airfare over the past few days, so has my friend (Dora Beth) who is planning on traveling with me.

When I started on this journey I had planned on taking my dad with me on the first trip.  Over the past 6 months that has changed.  My dad started having some digestive health issues this past spring.  He hasn't been able to get it stabilized enough to travel far from home at this time.  Well, due to that I needed to find someone to go with me.  On one of my trips to Des Moines for paperwork, I was talking on my phone (yes, I know I shouldn't do this and that it's dangerous).  I had called to talk with my friend Dora Beth and was explaining this situation to her.  Being the amazing friend that she is, she responded "I think I can make that work".  I didn't even have to ask her to go, she was willing to go with me and deal with all the emotions I will be going through meeting my daughter for the first time.  The best part is that she understands it, because she too is a mother to a child adopted internationally.  So, the two of us, who have known each other for 22 year, lived together for 1 year in college and have remained friends through good and bad times, are planning on traveling together in the near future on my journey to motherhood.  Trust me she is an amazing friend to have, when I was feeling really down last weekend she sent me a surprise on Sunday to lift my spirits.
Flowers from my friend
I will keep you all updated on what is going on.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bouquet and a beautiful friendship you have. Congratulations on your travel dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking how I've known you for twice as long as my hubby :) ~ Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am an single adopter who brought a friend on the first trip. Her passport was copied, everyone informed she was coming with me. First she was not allowed into the orphanage, the last 2 days she was allowed after the director had asked one or other important minister. He told her she could decide.(ofcourse but they are not always used to making decisions themselves, communisme is not long enough gone yet I pressume) Just be aware that it might not be straight forwards to take your friend into the orphanage, make sure they have her passport copy, tell your agency beforehand, the bulgarian agency representative told me it was not always allowed. I traveled this summer 2011.Hope you travel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you have travel dates. The stress of paperwork and deadlines is awful. Either way I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am aware they don't always allow friends to go to the orphanage, and will do what I am asked to do. I've actually been to orphanages in a couple of different countries, and have heard the policies of others, so know reasons different agencies and government do different things. Thanks for the heads up! One of the biggest things I'm hoping to do is learn to knit from my dear friend on our long trip there. (Of course it will be a BLESSING if I get to meet her daughter, but I'm not banking on it/not getting my hopes up - though don't mind prayers of favor w' her orphanage/government.) ~ Dora Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that Dora Beth will most likely not get to go to the orphanage. Although I would love for her to get to meet my daughter with me. I am just blessed that my friend will take the time away from her family at the holidays to go with me on this trip. She has been through it before and will be a huge support as she has been every step of my journey. And yes, she will learn to knit along the way :)

    ReplyDelete